Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

I was so hungry the night I made this soup that I simply could not stop to take a picture of it. The next day, I pulled out the leftovers to take a picture and it looked way too close to vomit to post on here, so here is a fancier, professional photo of the recipe I was so excited to eat.

This was actually a pretty fun soup to make - I loved using ingredients like lemongrass and coconut milk, which I don't often use. I made it on a cold, damp day (aren't they all, though?) and it was warm and comforting and just spicy enough to be a little more challenging on your palate than a plain old soup.

I would definitely recommend the recipe to anyone who likes spice and coconut and thai flavors. It could be a pretty easy and quick weeknight meal, I would just recommend cooking and shredding the chicken beforehand.

Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (from Cooking Light)


2 teaspoons canola oil
  • (1 cup sliced mushrooms - I didn't use mushrooms because they're disgusting, but you're free to)
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 4 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • (3-inch) stalk lemongrass, halved lengthwise
  • 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
  • 3 cups chicken stock or fat free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/4 cups light coconut milk
  • 4 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup green onion strips
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

  • Heat a Dutch oven (I used a large pot) over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and the next 4 ingredients (through lemongrass); cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chile paste; cook 1 minute. Add Chicken Stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Discard lemongrass. Top with onions, cilantro, and juice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll trade you an 80-degree day in March for just ONE cold dampish type day where a spicy soup would be JUST THE THING :P

the lady k said...

Umm, this sounds ahhhmazing. Can't wait to try out the recipe (my mom was just talking about this type of soup today). I make one similar and it just warms you through and through. Try adding galangal root to it too. It's a relative of ginger and used in a lot of Thai dishes. Adds some extra "yumz" to coconut- lemongrass soup. <3<3

Post a Comment