Friday, March 9, 2012

Stuffed Chicken Breasts and Parmesan and Roasted Garlic Couscous


Okay, so I said I'd be back and then I wasn't. But now I am again! And here comes the backlog of recipes....

I made these two recipes back in January, one very good and one really mediocre. The first one is a Stuffed Chicken Creast with Crosciutto and Goat Cheese from an old Reader's Digest cookbook that my mother gave me around the time I graduated college, and it was totally delicious. It was simple and easy, yet seemed really classy and impressive as a dish. Also, if you love goat cheese and prosciutto (and really, who doesn't?), you'll love this. I'd definitely giving this recipe a try, I've included it below.

The second recipe I made that evening was Parmesan Couscous with Roasted Garlic, Toasted Pine Nuts, and Caramelized Onions. This recipe was almost like the opposite of the first. It was not particularly simple, as you had to roast garlic, toast pine nuts, and caramelize onions all for a side dish that was quite underwhelming. The title made it sound so promising, but I was ultimately let down and thought it lacked a lot of flavor, especially given that it so many ingredients. It was fine, but I bet there are better ways to prepare a couscous side dish. If you're still interested, the recipe was found here.



Baked Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Prosciutto and Goat Cheese 
(from Reader's Digest's Kitchen Secrets)

4 Skinned and boned chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces fresh creamy goat cheese
2 ounces prosciutto or ham, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees  F. Pound chicken between sheets of plastic wrap until 1/4-inch thick. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, blend cheese and prosciutto and spread 3 tablespoons on each breast. Starting at a short end, roll up and secure with toothpicks.

Arrange chicken rolls, seam side down, in a buttered 8" x 8" x 2" ovenproof glass baking dish and bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through — 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove toothpicks and slice diagonally at 1/2-inch intervals. Pour pan juices over chicken and serve immediately.

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

Seeing as how I cannot get enough meat into my body these days, I am going to try out this recipe. Do you know about the boxed couscous you can buy? Presumably you do. I think it's Near East, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I can speak to the parmesan flavored one and also the one with pine nuts in it: good stuff, and easy.

Post a Comment